Wednesday, March 05, 2008

I love Joshua's doctor!

I have been doing some reading on sleep training. Ok, I've done alot of reading on sleep training. I now understand alot of how sleep-cycles work. I understand that Joshua's problem is not going to sleep, it's staying asleep in his bed and then he needs me to go back to sleep. Therefore, he would wake, cry and wait for me to put him back to sleep. I had gone to the bookstore and spent 2 hours looking at sleep training books and picked one out. It was a form of cry-it-out, but seemed the most humane. I had talked myself into believing that Joshua was really just gonna have to cry. Ok. I decided to make him a doctor's appointment to just run my plan by the doc and see if he had anything to add/subtract from it. I also wanted him to just check my baby over and make sure there was nothing going on with him right now that would prohibit him from sleeping (ear infection, teething, something I hadn't thought of yet, etc.). Anyway, I carefully outlined my sleep plan and he basically said to throw that book and my plan out the window! I was shocked - every doctor I've ever talked to told me to basically let him cry. Josh's doctor said that he shouldn't cry longer than 45 minutes to an hour. And then only if it's not a hysterical shriek, only if it's crying and whimpering/moaning - then it's ok. He said to put him down like normal, except don't associate the breast with sleep anymore. He said a bottle's fine - even at 14 months for a while. I'm sure my jaw was hitting the floor! After he's down, when he wakes up, don't pick him up, just sit beside the crib and talk to him. I can touch him if I want, or not, doesn't matter. It's important that he not feel abandoned. We tried it last night and it was so much better! He's not there yet, of course, but he put himself to sleep twice! That's awesome. I'm gonna call the doctor's office and ask where to send fan-mail. Just kidding. I know it has so much more to do with prayer than the doctor - God just used him as an instrument to tell me what to do. I'm so thankful we have a God who cares about babies and mommies sleeping!

No comments: